Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Shall We Become Relevant?


New day. Emergent Church. Vibrant Church. Relevant Ministry. And a whole lot more. There are a vast amount of terms used today through out the church world to describe the status of ministry that the church should obtain and/or function at. Why do we, church leaders find ourselves so often wrapped up in making sure we have the “correct” terminology as the basis of what we do as a church? Don’t get me wrong, I deeply believe that the church must be relevant to the ministry community to where God has placed them. We must relate to the people to whom we have been entrusted with the Holy task of sharing the all powerful Gospel of Jesus Christ. We must make sure we are using all available “tools” to get the message out beyond the walls of the church. After all Jesus was the first one to us PowerPoint in his message. Recall the story of the woman caught in adultery and in the midst of the message to those standing around he drew something on the ground and showed to the onlookers? (I know that point is lame but I thought I would just throw it in to see if anyone catches it.) We must think beyond the boundaries of tradition.

Do not all these terms really mean ministry? Do they not describe exactly what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:19-27?
“Although I'm free from all people, I have made myself a slave for all people to win more of them. I became Jewish for Jewish people. I became subject to Moses' Teachings for those who are subject to those laws. I did this to win them even though I'm not subject to Moses' Teachings. I became like a person who does not have Moses' Teachings for those who don't have those teachings. I did this to win them even though I have God's teachings. I'm really subject to Christ's teachings. I became like a person weak in faith to win those who are weak in faith. I have become everything to everyone in order to save at least some of them. I do all this for the sake of the Good News in order to share what it offers. Don't you realize that everyone who runs in a race runs to win, but only one runner gets the prize? Run like them, so that you can win. Everyone who enters an athletic contest goes into strict training. They do it to win a temporary crown, but we do it to win one that will be permanent. So I run-but not without a clear goal ahead of me. So I box-but not as if I were just shadow boxing. Rather, I toughen my body with punches and make it my slave so that I will not be disqualified after I have spread the Good News to others.” (God’s Word Version)

Paul, as well as the members of the early church, had a solid grasp upon what it took to win lost people. They deeply understood the term “emergent”, “relevant”, “seeker-sensitive”, “vibrant” and any of the “church-correct” (like politically correct) terms that grace across the pages of today’s modern day church growth movement. Oh, they understood deeply their culture, for they were a part of it. They understood the necessity of relating with the people groups they we involved with as they shared the gospel. However, I feel that one of the main distinctions that is prevalently seen among them, was they did not candy-up the gospel message. The gospel message is suppose to give a stinging effect to the hearers. The presentation of the gospel message does not become more powerful because we have altered the methods of presentation to reach the post-moderns.

A couple of years back, I got involved in a discussion with a minister in North Carolina about rather the Bible is any longer relevant to society. He told me, that there is a group of churches with strong ties in Alabama that is in the process of re-writing the Bible. His claim was that they felt that the historical Bible no longer contains the adequate messages for today’s society. Because of this conclusion, they feel that a new Bible must be written so that the modern society can hear from God. This is more than just another paraphrased version or another translation; it is a totally new bible.

Though I have not been able to find credible sources of confirmation of this information, may I assume for a minute that it is true? With this being true it raises a fear within my heart about becoming relevant as the main focus of what we do as a church. I know that this is a very far extreme result but could this become the final destination of the road of becoming relevant?

Let me suggest the following: If we have …
Empowering Leadership, Gift-based Ministry, Needs-based Evangelism, Inspiring Worship Services, Passionate Spirituality, Loving Relationships, Holistic Small Groups and Functional Structures then we will win the lost, disciple believers, equip the disciples and release labors into ministry. This will take place through the 5 avenues of growing the Church. We will then be: Broader through Ministry, Stronger through Worship, Larger through Evangelism, Warmer through Fellowship and Deeper through Discipleship.

Let’s not get so wrapped up in relevant terms of modern dialect, but let’s get wrapped up in being impacted by the passion of Christ … with a desire to impact all people with that passion. I guess what I am trying to say is this. Are people coming into a life changing, heart cleansing, and life equipping relationship with Jesus Christ through the things we are doing as a church? If not then why do it? Being relevant is not the issue … or is it?
Hum ….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Scott, and welcome to the world of blog!

I agree with you that neither tradition nor relevance should be the bottomline for any of us in ministry; there's a simpler, but deeper calling than that.